Garagefathers in Exeter, CA

Category Archives: Insurance

File a Claim

While other insurance companies put the lame in Claim, Garagefathers is busy putting the sure in Insurance.

When the unexpected happens, the Garagefathers are there with you every step of the way.

Driving on California’s highways can be a risky proposition. Whenever you are in a vehicle, there’s a risk of being involved in a traffic accident. Whether it’s a small “fender bender” or a major injury accident, knowing in advance what to do can help you avoid costly mistakes. This guide discusses what to do after an accident and what to expect when you file a claim with your insurance company.

For your convenience, an accident checklist is contained herein which can be kept in your vehicle for future reference.

When purchasing insurance, carefully review the application before signing to determine if the coverages, policy limits, and deductibles are suitable for your needs. After you receive the policy, review the declaration page. It contains important information about the covered drivers, identifies the vehicles insured, as well as the coverage limits amounts and deductibles. Make sure the information is correct and the coverage is what you purchased. If changes are needed, send your request to your agent and or insurance company in writing and keep a copy. Use certified mail return receipt requested to verify receipt of your documents.

Become familiar with your automobile insurance policy so you will understand it before the need arises to file a claim. Read the policy thoroughly so you know what is covered and what is excluded.

Question: What should I do at the scene of an accident ?

Answer: STOP Immediately and move only if it is safe to do so. Here’s what to do in case of an accident.

  • Answer: STOP Immediately and move only if it is safe to do so. Here's what to do in case of an accident.
  • Call the police. In some areas, police authorities may respond to every accident scene. They may consider factors such as the severity and location of the accident (some police authorities will not come to the scene if the accident is on private property). However, you should attempt to notify the police. You should also be aware that most policies require notification to the police within a specified time period if the accident is a hit and run.
  • Obtain names, addresses, telephone numbers, and driver’s license numbers from all drivers.
  • Obtain license plate(s) and vehicle identification numbers. Ask to see driver’s license(s) and vehicle registration(s) to verify the information is accurate.
  • Obtain names, addresses, and telephone numbers of other passengers and any witnesses.
  • If you have a camera or a cellphone, take photographs of the damage, and the accident scene (traffic controls, visual obstacles).
  • If the owner of a damaged car or damaged property cannot be located, leave a note with the names and addresses of the driver and owners of the involved cars.
  • Notify your agent and/or your insurance company immediately.
  • If anyone is injured or the vehicle damage exceeds $750.00, you must report the accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days. Failure to notify the DMV may result in the suspension of your driver’s license.

Filing a Claim with the Insurance

Question: What happens after I file the claim with my Insurance company?

Answer: Your insurance company will contact you for detailed information regarding the loss and may take a a written or recorded statement. An examination under oath can sometimes be requested. As part of the investigation, other drivers and witnesses may also be contacted. If you have medical payments or an uninsured motorist claim, you must provide documentation of your loss (injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, etc.).

Question: Is the car covered outside of California?

Answer: Most policies provide coverage in other states, U.S. territories and possessions, and Canada. As is the case in California, many other states and territories have enacted financial responsibility laws requiring drivers to carry a specified amount of automobile insurance to cover losses resulting from ownership or operation of a motor vehicle. If the financial responsibility requirements where you are traveling are higher than your policy limits, your company will meet the higher requirements. Most policies do not provide coverage in Mexico, so if you plan to drive your car there, it’s wise to buy that coverage separately. Check your out-of-state coverage before you travel.

California’s financial responsibility law is set forth commencing with Section 16020 of the California Vehicle Code. Among other things, it requires all drivers to be able to pay damages resulting from ownership or operation of a motor vehicle.

Drivers must show the ability to pay damages (financial responsibility) of a minimum of $15,000 for each person injured or killed in an accident, $30,000 for injury/death of two or more persons in one accident, and a minimum of $5,000 for property damage in any one accident. If you are cited by a peace officer for a moving violation or are involved in an accident, you may be asked for written proof of financial responsibility. This can be done by recording the name of your insurance company and policy number on the vehicle registration card issued by the DMV. This proof of insurance should be kept in the vehicle or a place where it will always be available when driving. For further information, contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

Important Tips

  • Read your policy. Don’t wait until after an accident.
  • If you don’t understand your policy, ask your agent and/or company for clarification.
  • If you have an accident, call the police. If there are injuries, call paramedics.
  • Get as much information as possible at the accident scene to furnish to your agent and/or insurance company.
  • Immediately notify your agent and/or insurance company of an accident.
  • Cooperate with the insurance adjusters/ investigators to aid in their efforts.
  • If you don’t understand something about the claims procedure, ask your agent and/or insurance company representative to explain.
  • Notify your agent or company in writing of any change in your vehicle ownership.
  • Immediately notify your agent and/or insurance company of an accident.

Auto Quote: “Let Garagefathers Ride with You.”

Garagefathers will match you with insurers that best fit your needs and budget.

We are an Independent Agency with access to many carriers and will do the shopping for you. Our goal is to find you the best package at the most affordable rates. Insurance made supercharged.

Garagefathers Insurance is committed to restoring an outstanding level of service that has become obsolete in our industry. Custom-tailored policies will maximize coverage for every customer dollar spent. Garagefathers Insurance’s dedication is sure to become legendary in a world of inadequacies, because a love of vehicles and their owners makes amazing service easy.